bananatricky

Sitting on the edge with my Kindle

American Gods
One for the Wicked
Karina Cooper
Kill Shot
Liliana Hart
Girl with Guitar - Caisey Quinn The Amazon blurb says: After Kylie’s dad dies in a freak accident, he leaves her with nothing other than her crazy stepmother, Darla, and the ability to play guitar. When Darla kicks Kylie out and she loses her job all in the same day, she hops a bus to Nashville determined to make her late father’s dreams come true.
Waitressing and saving her pennies to record a demo, her big break comes when she’s asked to join a tour going down the tubes with once platinum album-selling country music superstar Trace Corbin. But touring with Trace is hardly a dream come true since he’s pretty much drinking his career down the drain. If Kylie can’t pull Trace out of his rut, he’ll pull her and her dreams down with him.

I enjoyed this, it was fairly predictable, had shades of a happier version of A Star is Born, I also thought I had seen a film with a similar story of a young, talented singer metaphorically kicking some sense into an almost has-been mega star drowning in his own self-pity. He has issues, she has issues, people tell lies etc…

I think the secondary characters lacked differentiation – I couldn't remember who any of them were, possibly because they were only mentioned when they were required for the plot (ie no telephone calls in between). But otherwise it was sweet and fun, the best bits are where Kylie lets rip into Trace.

A sequel has clearly been written as we get the first chapter at the end of the book – not sure whether to read it as I fear we may get an on-again, off-again rinse and repeat, I think the price will determine my decision.